By Viv Paxinos, above, CEO, AllBright
Today, I want to talk to you about the power and importance of networks.
Let’s start with why they matter…
- They are the beginning of relationships, friendships, and conversations.
- They help us share our own stories and create opportunities for those around us.
- They are necessary for our careers and well-being.
Ultimately, the best things in your career will happen because of your network and surrounding yourself with like-minded people is proven to make you feel more fulfilled. In fact, our recent Future of Work survey revealed that 57% of women are looking for networking opportunities and 38% are looking for mentors. The new hybrid workplace isn’t designed with women’s needs in mind, so we’re at risk of losing women in the workplace.
I don’t want to wait 132 years to close the gender pay gap. I don’t want to wait for systemic change to happen. I want to create change. And I want to create change with you. That’s why we launched the AllBright Alliance – a global network of businesses and thought leaders committed to creating to making work work for ALL women. Powered by rich data, it is a framework designed with your well-being and wealth in mind.
But we can’t do it alone. We’re asking for your support in inspiring your companies to get involved in the AllBright Alliance in any way – no impact is too small. This is your opportunity to be part of the change. Because, if it’s not us driving the conversations, then who? To find out more, check out AllBright Alliance or connect with me directly.
In the meantime, here are some easy ways to get started with networking…
- Be inspired by these three career stories that highlight the importance of increasing networking opportunities for black women.
- Read Viv Groskop’s 10 steps to getting mentoring right. Viv will be joining us at the Step Forward Summit on Friday 10 March, where she’ll be sharing more of her invaluable insights IRL.
- Beat networking anxiety by reading The Introvert’s Guide to Networking and watching our short course How to Maximise Networks, Coaches and Mentors
February is the perfect time to start building connections that you can nurture throughout the year. So, here are my top tips…
- Don’t be afraid to speak your dreams out loud and make your presence known, especially to people in your desired industry.
- Make the most of AllBright to connect and reconnect with people from your own network.
- Prioritise networking. Go to that event even if you’re tired – you’ll thank yourself later.
- Most importantly, get excited about learning from others at every opportunity.