What can be done?
The Federation of Small Businesses has compiled a checklist of ten things small businesses must ensure they are doing to cover the basics. If in doubt, seek professional advice – this issue affects firms of all sizes and at the rate it is spreading businesses can’t afford not to be protected.
· Implement a combination of security protection solutions (anti-virus, anti-spam, firewall(s))
· Carry out regular security updates on all software and devices
· Implement a resilient password policy (minimum eight characters, change regularly)
· Secure your wireless network
· Implement clear and concise procedures for email, internet and mobile devices
· Train staff in good security practices and consider employee background checks
· Implement and test backup plans, information disposal and disaster recovery procedures
· Carry out regular security risk assessments to identify important information and systems
· Carry out regular security testing on the business website
· Check provider credentials and contracts when using cloud services