Home News Google Inc's AdWords fails to deliver value to struggling SMEs
Google Inc's AdWords fails to deliver value to struggling SMEs
Tuesday, 18 October 2011 10:50

Many businesses are unable to track the link between the money they put in Google Adwords and the revenue they get out.


Less than a fifth (18 per cent) of SMEs using Google Inc's (NASDAQ:GOOG) AdWords recoup the cost of their investment, according to research published today. The remaining 82 per cent are either not recouping their cost in terms of online sales, or simply don't know if they are, or not.  

Google AdWords are promoted widely to SMEs as a direct and cost-effective way of raising brand awareness and boosting sales of products and services. But the survey by Workbooks.com of more than 500 small business leaders across the UK suggests that this message is lost on many, as they are unable to track the link between the money they put in and the revenue they get out.

John Cheney, CEO of Workbooks.com, comments: "These results echo the conversations we are having with many of our customers. SMEs feel they need to be 'seen' on Google, but they just don't have the tools to measure the effectiveness of their investment.  

"With Google AdWords now well established as one of the world's leading advertising media, offering enormous potential for a more level playing field between SMEs and their larger competitors, it is a real shame that many firms are still struggling to quantify the benefits.

"One company found that for every £1 they spent on Google AdWords they generated a mere 18 pence in sales. Smaller firms have limited marketing budgets and they want to spend it in the way that will generate the greatest return. With just 10 per cent of survey respondents saying that Google AdWords had led directly to sales and new clients in the last 12 months, it is important that SMEs have access to tools that help them to make the best possible decisions about where to invest their funds."


Related news items:
Newer news items:
Older news items:

 

Technology

Image
Closing the window on Microsoft Corporation's XP
Monday, 07 April 2014
The urgent steps smaller businesses must take. Read more...

Sponsored Articles

Image
Battling the big boys for business
Friday, 11 April 2014
How do you know if you've got what it takes to have a go at Goliath's end of the market? Read more...

Management

Image
Right to work – know your obligations
Tuesday, 25 March 2014
You must undertake thorough right to work checks on all potential members of staff. Read more...

Economy

Image
SMEs and doing business in the EU
Monday, 10 March 2014
An insight into EU regulations and their impact on SMEs. Read more...

Finance

Image
How a bank will assess your business finance request
Wednesday, 16 April 2014
Businesses can increase their chances of success by better understanding how banks will assess their request. Read more...

Marketing

Image
Networking for growth
Monday, 14 April 2014
How SMEs can use networking/industry events. Read more...
               

Your are currently browsing this site with Internet Explorer 6 (IE6).

Your current web browser must be updated to version 7 of Internet Explorer (IE7) to take advantage of all of template's capabilities.

Why should I upgrade to Internet Explorer 7? Microsoft has redesigned Internet Explorer from the ground up, with better security, new capabilities, and a whole new interface. Many changes resulted from the feedback of millions of users who tested prerelease versions of the new browser. The most compelling reason to upgrade is the improved security. The Internet of today is not the Internet of five years ago. There are dangers that simply didn't exist back in 2001, when Internet Explorer 6 was released to the world. Internet Explorer 7 makes surfing the web fundamentally safer by offering greater protection against viruses, spyware, and other online risks.

Get free downloads for Internet Explorer 7, including recommended updates as they become available. To download Internet Explorer 7 in the language of your choice, please visit the Internet Explorer 7 worldwide page.

Google Analytics Alternative