Businesses tackling social problems in London are being called on to enter this year’s Lord Mayor’s Dragon Awards – the capital’s top responsible business gongs. The City of London Corporation, which runs the awards scheme, wants to hear from firms large and small which go above and beyond to make a difference to society.
The Lord Mayor’s Dragon Awards for responsible business, which is open for applications, celebrates companies large and small that are improving people’s lives, from increasing the diversity of their workforce to volunteering in the community to helping social enterprises to grow.
Over the last 30 years, responsible businesses which have applied to the Dragon Awards have helped over 10 million people, mobilising 200,000 business volunteers and giving nearly £250 million in donations and in-kind support to London’s communities.
This year, the City Corporation wants to hear from businesses that are changing the way they work – both internally and externally- to improve society.
The awards, open until April 16, have six categories:
- Heart of the City Award: celebrates businesses that have only recently begun to have a social impact in Greater London
- Accelerator Award: celebrates firms that are multiplying their impact in Greater London by helping other organisations to succeed
- Inclusive Employment Award: celebrates companies removing barriers to employment and progression for disadvantaged, underrepresented or minority groups
- Innovation Award: celebrates businesses developing new ways to benefit London’s communities
- Regional Impact Award: celebrates businesses with a London HQ that are strengthening regional communities beyond the capital
- Community Partners Award: celebrates community organisations that are working with firms to achieve excellence in social impact.
This year the City Corporation is also launching the Lord Mayor’s Award – Business of Trust Champion, focused on trust in business, the Lord Mayor’s theme for the year. This award, open to all businesses across the UK, celebrates businesses which are championing responsible business practices to create a lasting legacy of better business trusted by society. The award is open for applications until July 30.
All applicants will be invited to The Mansion House in September where the winners will receive a prestigious ‘Dragon’ from the City’s Lord Mayor, Charles Bowman.
The Lord Mayor said: “These awards celebrate the excellent work of business supporting communities across London and tackling social issues. We will recognise firms that are improving society through their responsible business programmes and leading the way for others. London’s businesses should be more vocal about the positive work they do for society – and these awards are a fantastic opportunity to do just that. I am particularly pleased, this year, to launch a new award: the Lord Mayor’s Award – Business of Trust Champion.”